Welfare in the University

In addition to College Welfare and support from College Office, there are a range of other support services throughout the university. If you would like more information about any of these support services the college welfare team are happy to help.

The University Counselling Service – counsel.service@dur.ac.uk – 0191 334 2200

If you feel your problems require professional help, book an ‘initial assessment appointment’ with the university counselling service. You can do this by phone, email or calling into the Counselling Service reception which is found in the Palatine Centre (through the main doors and down the corridor, on the left). Counselling aims to help you explore and understand more clearly issues or difficulties which you may be facing. The waiting lists tend to grow throughout the year, so it is best to book an appointment early. Ask the welfare team, college office or your doctor for more information if you’d like to know what counselling entails. If you are having problems that are impacting on your academic activities, it is important that you tell college office, so they can liaise with your academic department to make sure they understand the situation. It can therefore be a good idea to book an appointment to see a counsellor through College Office. Their website also supplies various forms of self-help which you may like to try initially, prior to going to counselling or while you are waiting for counselling to start: www.dur.ac.uk/counselling.service/selfhelp/

Nightline – https://durhamnightline.com/

Nighttime is often most difficult, as the people you go to for advice are asleep. Nightline is an anonymous, non-judgemental, non-aligned, non-advisory, and confidential listening service run for students by students. You can say whatever you like and get it off your chest. Nothing you say will be passed on, not even to another Nightline volunteer. Nightline operates between 9pm and 7am every night of term. They even act as an information service and can let you know taxi numbers should you find yourself stranded, so this is a really important number to have. You can contact Nightline through their online messaging system (found on their website) or by calling on their number which can be found on the back of your campus card and on duo.

DSU (Durham Student Union) Advice Centre – advice@dsu.org.uk0191 223 1777

The DSU Advice Centre are a professional service, independent of college and the University, that can give advice on a range of issues, including your course, finance, your landlord and the University. They are non-judgemental and will give you all the options you have, so you can make the right choice. 
Location:  Level A, Durham Students’ Union, Dunelm House
Open: Monday-Thursday 10am – 4pm; Friday 10.30am – 3.30pm (Last Tuesday of the month 5pm – 7pm)

Services for Students with Disabilities – disabilities.service@durham.ac.uk – 0191 334 8115

DUSSD give support and advice to students (prospective and current) who have a recognised disability, a specific learning difference, a medical condition or a mental health problem. They also provide support for students who think they have an undiagnosed disability. Having a disability could impact on a student’s ability to participate fully in University life, however DUSSD are here to help and support you. They can be of help academically by liaising with your department to make sure you are supported in your studies or help with aspects of college life to make sure you are fully settled. Please have a look at their website if you would like more information: https://www.dur.ac.uk/disability.support/ . You can also get in touch with the JCR Disabilities Welfare Officer in college, who can give you further advice and information about the support available to you.

The International Office – 0191 334 6328 – www.dur.ac.uk/international/office/ – international.office@durham.ac.uk

The International Office is a University service that provides help and support to International students. The transition to University can be daunting enough, without the prospect of moving to a completely new country. The International Office can help organise visas, finances, and all the paperwork required. They can also be of support in learning English and in settling into college life. Feel free to contact the JCR International Welfare Officer with any worries too, or any member of our iFrep Team during Freshers Week.